Sunday, September 28, 2008

Welcome to Couchsurfing Iran!

Salam!

Welcome to Couchsurfing Iran, a blog about my trip around Iran, in which I plan to stay with hosts and meet with locals all met via the website Couchsurfing.

I plan on sharing the stories, opinions and lives of these ordinary Iranians with an English-reading audience, in the hope that I might spread some good ole' peace and understanding during this increasingly tense and worrying time in Western-Iranian relations.

This blog is not about political issues per se, but rather is meant to offer an inside look at Iranians behind the headlines. Comments are welcome.

Why?

Because if you’re thinking of bombing a country, as a certain presidential candidate has literally sung the Beach Boys to, then I think you should know something about the people who live there beforehand. Surely Iraq has taught us that much.

Who am I?

I’m a 24 year old Australian currently based in Chengdu, China, where I study kung fu and teach English. Previously, I worked for a humanitarian agency in Silver Spring, MD. I have a B.A. in Government and Politics from the University of Maryland, College Park. When I have a chance, I like to attend indie rock concerts and do tai chi in public squares. My favourite Arabic numeral is panj, five, which looks like an upside-down heart. ۵

No comments: